Friday, June 13, 2014

More cause for celebration

On Wednesday, June 11, the Adult Education and Literacy Program held its annual Student Recognition Ceremony in a packed house theater in the Fine Arts Building. This event recognizes students in our English as a Second Language program and those completing their High School Equivalency degrees. It is, without fail, an uplifting and inspiring ceremony, with student stories bound to bring a lump to throats and tears to eyes. This year’s event was no exception.

Here are just a few of the comments from students achieving their High School Equivalency:

“I felt like an outsider and that I couldn’t do well in school. Coming to SCC was one of the best things I’ve done with my time and in life so far. SCC has definitely made me feel more part of the world I live in. Now I can show everyone I know that I am smart, have motivation, and that anything is possible.”

“My GED has been my biggest accomplishment thus far. It gave me a sense of confidence that I so badly needed. It made me feel like I had proved to myself and everyone around me that I could do it and that I am smart enough.”

“Being in this program taught me that it’s possible to continue pursuing your goals no matter how old you are. Today I am majoring in a fashion marketing degree, which was a dream that I was holding in a box before I earned my GED.”

“Achieving my GED/HSE at the age of 30 is surreal to say the least. Obtaining this has given me back my self-confidence that I seem to have lost a long time ago. For once, in a long time, the door to my future has never seemed so exciting and promising.”

“Getting my GED has given me the confidence to realize I can do anything I set my mind to! I also feel that not only is this improving my life, but my son and daughter’s life as well.”

Many of these students, and those completing the ESL program, go on to college here at SCC and elsewhere and from there to remarkable careers. Several students in both programs performed well enough to receive Foundation and Board of Trustee Scholarships.

One of those students, Gia Jurczyk, tells her story here as one of several speakers at the ceremony on Wednesday.

http://youtu.be/IGxSxeDWFQI

We should be proud of these students and of the work of all those here at SCC who support their success. We talk with deserved pride about our commitment to transforming lives here at SCC. Nowhere is this more evident than in the work and transformation evident in these programs.

Cause for celebration indeed! Congratulations to all of the students, their teachers, volunteers, and everyone in the Adult Education and Literacy program. Work well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment